Is Online Learning Right for Me?
Learning online has a number of benefits:
- Northwest Skills Institute online courses are self-paced so you can study when you have time. Are you working full-time? Do you have shifts that keep changing? Online learning gives you the flexibility to study whenever your schedule allows. In fact, you can study for a few minutes each day or for a few hours. It’s up to you!
- Our courses can be completed from anywhere in the world. If you have a computer, laptop or tablet and internet access, you can complete our training. Can you imagine working on your coursework while sitting on the beach? You can! You can also work from home, the library…the possibilities are endless!
- Northwest Skills Institute online courses are an affordable way to complete your training. There are no additional fees beyond the course fee. That means you don’t have to buy textbooks, purchase a parking pass, pay student services fees – all those costs that students pay when attending a face-to-face post-secondary program.
- Repetition is an option. In our NWSkills Online courses, you can take the time to really learn the material. If you need to repeat a module, that’s OK! We have suggested times for each certificate program, but if you prefer to learn at a slower (or faster) pace, you can.
Online learning allows you to control how, when and where learning takes place.
Before You Start, Consider These
Yes, there are many benefits to online learning but is it for everyone? The answer is, no. For some people or for some topics, online learning is not the right choice. Here are some situations when face-to-face training may be a better choice:
- You prefer face-to-face contact. We are always happy to support your learning via email but some students prefer to get immediate feedback on their learning or wish to interact with classmates. For these students, face-to-face classes may be a better option.
- You need a certain amount of self-discipline to remember to log in to your coursework. NWSkills Online certificate programs include a module on strategies for succeeding in online learning, but ultimately, the responsibility to log in rests with you.
- Not every topic is a suitable choice for online learning. You’ll notice that our first aid classes are only offered in a face-to-face format. That’s because some topics focus more on practical applications than theory and therefore, they need to be completed in a face-to-face format.
- Some students benefit from more support when learning. Research suggests that students with Level 1 and 2 Essential Skills, or those with scores below 250 on the IALSS (International Adult Literacy and Skills Survey) scale do better when they are directly supported while learning. For these students, we recommend a face-to-face classroom or we encourage you to contact us to discuss how we can provide additional support such as weekly check-ins or webinars. To find out what your Essential Skills levels are, contact us here or check out MESA (Manufacturing Essential Skills Assessment) at mesa.manufacturingbc.org.
A Special Note for Employers Looking for Staff Training
For employers looking for an affordable and practical training option for their staff, online training can be ideal – scheduling staff for online training is easy and flexible (staff don’t have to be at the same location to complete the training), course fees are reasonable and as an organization, you can oversee your staff’s training with the click of a button.
For employers who wish to provide training to groups of staff, we offer the following add-ons:
- staff pre-assessment using the MESA (Manufacturing Essential Skills Assessment) to identify employee readiness for online training
- a discussion board for your team to communicate with one another
- optional webinars
- team lead access so you can get immediate access to staff progress reports
For more information, contact us
Preparing you for success
The Northwest Skills Institute is an industry focused training organization.
Our programs are geared specifically for industry, making students more qualified and READY FOR WORK.